RAM air, keeping the elements out

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 22:14:02 EST

I'd like to do the hood, but just don't have the money for it nor will I
any time soon. But I do have some questions about the ram air setup.
What keeps the rain and stuff out when your driving in bad weather? It
couldn't be good to have a soaking wet K&N. I have seen some setups on
the older Mopar muscle cars that was called something like "air grabber"
or something. Basicaly it was a ram air setup which you could open or
close with a vacum operated mechanism. Close it and the ram port would
sink down inline with the rest of the hood, pretty sexy if ya ask me. So
how do you keep the elements out of the Pro Glass setup?

Same thing on the Cowl hood, what keeps rain, snow and other stuff from
going directly into the engine compartment? Looks to me like getting
rained on while in a parking lot would soak the distributor and anything
else in the rear along the firewall. Maybe a flap of some kind to seal
it off while parked? But what about when driving?

Or is it no big deal for the engine bay to get wet?

Couriously confused,

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com