Re: RAM or COWL ?

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 01:23:26 EST

> BTW: I believe the NHRA Dakotas use cowl induction, although the
> Avengers have those huge honkin' scoops...
>
> I'm not sure,
> but I think that a ram-air would mostly aim the air at the air
> cleaner,

Yes, if you get the air box.

> whereas a cowl induction would flood the entire engine
> compartment, not only feeding cold air to the air cleaner, but
> also drawing heat from the heads, headers, and the entire engine
> in general.

Actually, the cowl hood from U.S. Body Source comes with the air box, sealing the
cowl opening into the filter.

> Surely someone somewhere must have done a study of cowl vs. ram
> at some point? Anyone have any facts?
>
> -Jon-

I hope so.

P.S. Ram air, w/o a deal from ProGlass is $450+$60=$510. The cowl hood with airbox
is $389. Hmmmmmm decisions decisions. (I hate the spelling of that word, I never
remember how, but anyway...)
How many true race cars run ram air? That's where the tech is developed and tested
that eventually trickles down to us regular guys.
Robert Trottmann
rotrottmann@davidson.edu