Re: 98 DIAG CODES

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 13:03:35 EST

At 07:58 AM 3/13/98 , you wrote:

> Just ran out and checked my 98 diag codes with new procedure and it
> works! Hold down the odometer reset button then turn on ignition while
> holding button for another 10 or so seconds. The odometer displays
> "chec" then a "snakey " pattern, all trouble lights and guages are
> cycled, then a normal odometer reading. I guess if there were
> problems, the code would appear. So they DID change it for 98. If
> anyone can add to this please do so. Have a great weekend! Joe Borg

Did you ever see a 55 displayed. This is the end of test code. If you never
saw a 55 I would think the computer diagnostic test never ran.

I just went and ran the instrument check on my 97. I held down the reset
button & turned on the ignition. After a few seconds it displayed "chec". I
kept holding down the button, but nothing else happened. When I released
the button, after a few seconds it displayed "950" then "999". Anyone know
what these numbers mean? On the 97s you have to press the reset button
between tests. First it activates all the segments of the digital display
all at once. Next is that "snakey" pattern which is the individual segments
of the display being activated one at a time. Then the idiot lights,
followed by the gauges. Then the chimes ring signaling the end of test.

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed