Re: Front tire wear on 98 4x2

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 22:37:16 EST

Jerry Jackson wrote:

> Interesting point. In fact I have thought of another possibility or two
> since I posted last (2 hours ago?). There may be a correlation
> between production run (mine was one of the very first 97 V8s in
> northern California - the reason I know is an interesting story).
> Anyway, I wonder if there is a correlation between between:
> 1) production date; 2) 2WD vs 4WD; 3) Handling package; 4) V8
> engine or no.

I'll be quick about this, since I'm not in your selected sample, but my
'94 (2WD V-6) had exactly the tire wear problem you are describing. My
left front was ruined quite quickly -- I didn't catch it because I just
wasn't paying attention. So I adjusted my toe-in to nearly zero using
four jack stands and twine. Not rocket science, but the price was right
and I could do it over if handling anomolies appeared. Two years later
I wouldn't change a thing -- the tires have a little more outside than
inside edge wear, but we have our share of twisty roads.

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com