Re: alignments

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 08:38:28 EST

Frank Ball wrote:

> The front tires are spaced an inch or so farther apart than the rears,
> on a 4x4 there is another inch or so added to the front wheel spacing.
> So using your twine method I would expect that you now have a small
> amount of toe-out.

I understand what you are saying, which is why I made sure I had a
rectangle -- strings parallel to each other rather than to the truck
wheels. I was concerned about dartiness with very little toe-in, but
that has seemed to materialize only recently (about 2 years after my
homebrew alignment) as the tires have worn. Since that also
corresponds with our spring road heaves, I've decided to wait a bit
before I do anything -- I may just be reacting to the road.

Thanks for the comments. I was expecting changing toe-in to make only a
minor tire wear improvement, with camber to be dealt with later using
proper equipment. But the reduction in tire wear was so profound that
fooling with the front end has fallen into the "If it ain't broke ..."
catagory.

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com
'94