RE: MSD, timing, and nitrous.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 19 1998 - 20:01:36 EST

At 01:47 PM 3/19/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I thought the stock chips had rev limiters also??
>
>Tate

  Yep, they sure do. However, they implement the rev limiter by
cutting off fuel, as opposed to cutting off spark (like the MSD).
  So, if you're running the nitrous and you hit the rev limiter, the
stock computer will shut off the gas and let your cylinders fill
with N20 while the plugs are still sparking away. To be honest
with you, I don't remember why that is a bad thing, maybe someone
else can chime in with that info?

   Another aspect of the MSD rev limiter is that it drops the spark
to certain cylinders, but it keeps track of which cylinders weren't
fired, and it makes sure to ignite whatever is left in the chamber
on the next stroke. (so you don't get gas and nitrous puddling
in the chamber)

   It would be neat if the MSD had a kind of "rev limiter out" lead,
which could be used to shut off other stuff when you hit the limiter.
(Nitrous comes readily to mind; you might also be able to use it to
adjust the wastegate of a turbocharger to reduce pressure, etc...)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.