Re: Tips for us DIY types

From: KARL MOLTZAN (kmoltzan@mymail.net)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 10:26:10 EST

Cautoin preceed at your own risk and stupidity!!!

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:14:00 -0600 Marc Robertson
<marc@blackberry-ridge.com> wrote:

>>From another list -- for us Do It Yourself types.
>
>No need to fear the technical....some more assistance from
those in the
>know:
>

> Mechanic's Quick Reference
>
>"FOOL PRESSURE CHART"
>
>(For those who refuse to use a pressure gauge)
>
>Due to the fact that most technicians do not want to take
the time to
>correctly test the fuel pressure, we have developed the
following...

>With the engine running, loosen the fuel line THEN IF:
>

>Fuel does not come out of the test area... Pressure is
approx 0 psi
>Fuel hits the hood insulation... Pressure is 5
- 8 psi
>Fuel squirts over the fender... Pressure is
10-15 psi
>Fuel splashes off the fender onto the hood insulation
>and into the next repair bay... Pressure is
25-30 psi
>Fuel squirts to the garage roof, all over the car,
>including the shop owner... Pressure is
30-50 psi

>VACUUM TEST
>"Rule of Thumb"
>
>Put thumb on vacuum hose leading to direct engine vacuum.
>
>Don't feel anything Change thumbs and
re-test
>Still don't feel anything Vacuum is very low
to none.
>Hose has slight suction 1" to 5"
>Suction causes skin to wrinkle 5" to 8"
>Suction turns thumb blue 8" to 10"
>Suction creates hickey on thumb 10" to 12"
>Suction creates pain 18" to 20"
>Suction will not release and begins to move toward
>index finger 20" to 25"
>

>"IDIO-ILLUMINATION" CHART
>
>With the vehicle prepped and ready to be tested, hook the
negative lead
>of
>the test light to a good ground and proceed with testing.
>
>The bulb DOES NOT light The voltage is 0
- 1 volt
>The bulb MIGHT be glowing The voltage is 1
- 3 volts
>The bulb BARELY GLOWS (or there is a
>reflection from the overhead lights) The voltage is 3
- 5 volts
>The bulb GLOWS MUCH BRIGHTER than #2, but only
>a little brighter than #3 The voltage is 5
- 7 volts
>The bulb GLOWS WITH THE SAME INTENSITY AS A
>BALD HEAD ON A SUNNY DAY The voltage is 7
- 9 volts
>The bulb GLOWS BRIGHTLY and is GAINING IN
>INTENSITY The voltage is 9
- 11 volts
>The bulb is ALMOST BRIGHT ENOUGH TO
>READ BY The voltage is 11
- 13 volts
>The bulb is BRIGHT ENOUGH that you still see a spot
>when you look away The voltage is 13
- 15 volts
>The bulb SHINES WITH THE INTENSITY OF A
>HALOGEN HEADLAMP The voltage is 15
- 17 volts
>The bulb is so bright that it MAY BE A SIGN
>FROM GOD The voltage is 17
- 19 volts
>The bulb flashed with the INTENSITY OF A MINOLTA
>FLASH POINTED 3 FEET FROM YOUR FACE The voltage is 20
to 40,000
>volts
> (Secondary
Ignition)

>IGNITION VOLTAGE OUTPUT TEST
>
>Scopes may be inaccessible from time to time, so we at
"Bubba's Garage"
>have come up with this here test for Ignition Output:
>
>1.Hold medium wrench in one hand, Sears wrench preferred
for accuracy
> of test 'cause other smooth wrenches are too slick for
throwin'!

>2.With engine runnin', grab hold of the plug end of an
ignition cable
> with the other hand and hold on tight!
>
>3.This will more than likely cause you to throw wrench!
KV output
> is based on how far the wrench wuz thrown!
>
> 10 feet = approx. 10,000 volts
> 20 feet = approx. 15,000 volts
> 30 feet = approx. 25,000 volts
> Over 30 feet = Caution! Must be one of