re: front shocks

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 14:08:33 EST

} Let me tell ya one thing. Before changing suspension geometry, try this.
} Install a new set of "good" front shock absorbers. My 95 had very por tire
} wear within the first 3000mi. I took it to a friend in the buisness and he
} looked it over. He said that the shocks on my Dakota V8 were the same shocks
} that are on a Dakota 4cyl. OK, I had him install a pair of KYB gas shocks. I
} rotated the tires, and yep you guessed it.No more cupping and feathering of
} the inside edges.

I thought the front shocks were so pathetic I didn't wait to see what
the tire wear was. A 4 cyl shortbed must be about 1000 pounds lighter
than my V8 club cab with AC. The front end would bounce up and down
like a Buick after a bump. I thought it was absolutely dangerous. I
put on front KYBs at about 3000 miles. They are a vast improvement, but
I'd like shocks that are even stiffer. I still have the stock shock on
the rear, with the 2000 pounds leaf springs it doesn't move around too
much, and I usually don't have much of a load in it.

--
Frank Ball   1UR-M           frankb@sr.hp.com       (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard              (707) 794-3038 fax     (707) 538-3693 home