Hood liner retention (Was: Hood liner insulation)

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:18:24 EST

Jeff Lee wrote:

> I had posted before that I was thinking about adding the under hood
> insulation liner on my 98 Dak sport. This is something that only the SLT
> guys usually get. I called around, and I can get one (ram imprint and
> all) for around $65 inluding the 14 hold down clips.

I ordered the hood insulation mat and retaining clips from the dealer.
Got it and installed it a couple of days ago. There is definitely a
noticeable reduction in engine noise in the cab. Seems to take the edge
off the high frequency noises like valve train and injector clatter. And
that ram imprint - ya gotta love it. ;)

I've got a question/favor to ask of somebody with a 97-98 SLT... could
you take a look at how the mat is fastened to your hood? The Dodge parts
computer called for 14 clips (what a rip at $1.30 a piece for these
chincy little single use plastic clips - can't be more that 20 cents
worth of material in the whole bag). However, I could only find mounting
holes in the mat for 11 of them.

I have created a map of where the clips attach to the mat (pardon the
ascii graphics), the plus sign "+" indicates a clip.

 _____________________________
/ + + \
| |
|+ +|
| + + |
| ^o=o^ |
| U |
| |
| + |
|+ +|
               ^
               ^
The center of the bottom edge seems a bit loose and flappy. Not a big
problem, I just wanted to make sure that I have ordered and installed
all the necessary mounting hardware. Thanks for any help in advance.

jeff
98 RC 4x2 Sport V8 5spd 3.55SG flares FIPK