rims and shocks

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:59:05 EST

} From: Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu>
} Subject: DML: American Racing Wheels
}
} I e-mailed AR a while ago, and got the following list of wheels of
} theirs that fit the '95 Dakota. If that means they fit the 97+'s, good.
}
} From: Michael Clark <mike@snakebite.com>
} Subject: DML: second gen rim question
}
} Can't remember if this has been discused yet but will rims from a second
} generation ('97+) fit a first gen Dakota? I'm wondering if offset and
} backspacing are the same or if they changed that. I assume the bolt
} pattern is still the same oddball 6 on 4/12?

Pre-97s use 5" backspacing with 6" wide rims.
'97, '98 use 5.5" backspacing with 7" or 8" rims.

Bolt patterns are the same 6 bolts 4.5" circle (the same as the Viper).

When I look under my '95 there is very little room between the rim and
the upper control arm. The upper control arm was changed for '97 to
make more clearance. On the old control arm the arm wraps around the
upper ball joint, and on the new control arm the ball joint is hanging
off the end with the control arm cut away. Some people have put the new
rims on the older Daks, it is very tight. I think it hits if there are
any wheelweights on the inside of the rim. Unless I found some take
offs of the new 8" rims CHEAP I'd buy rims with 5" of backspacing.
Grinding some metal off the upper control arm is an option also.

KYB shocks: I just bought the KYB recommended replacements. They are
much better than stock. I didn't know how to go about comparing other
part numbers or how the stock ones would work. I got them from a local
performance truck parts store.

--
Frank Ball   1UR-M           frankb@sr.hp.com       (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard              (707) 794-3038 fax     (707) 538-3693 home