Re: Drag Racing

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 23:34:50 EST

Robert Trottmann wrote:

> Tomorrow, the local track is open for "test and tune" from 12-5. I'm
> going to try and race for the first time ever. Does anyone have any
> suggestions/tips/help for someone who's only seen one drag race in his
> entire life?
> Thanks a lot,
> Robert
> (the time for partying has come!) Wheeeee
>
> --

Well, I've only got to do it once, so I'm by no means an expert. I'm
sure some of the others can educate you better than me. Sean Meldrum
mailed me an article once for newbies at the track. Among other things
a few things it mentioned were to not run your a/c. It will create
puddles on the track and people will get ticked off. You might even run
your heater on full when you are getting lined up to bring the engine
temp down a little. Also be sure to drive around the water box (wet
spot just before the starting line which has bleach or traction
chemicals in it) this does nothing for street tires and it will collect
in the tread and contaminate the track after you leave the line. You
have a tonneau cover right? You still might experiment with the
tailgate, do some runs with it up and some with it down. By all means
experiment, but to start out try holding the brake and launching at
1500rpm. As far as the tree goes, don't wait for the green light. Once
both staged lights are lit, things happen kinda quick. You will have 3
yellows 1/2 second apart. Go on the last yellow. Don't anticipate it,
but once you see the light, hit it and you'll cross the line just before
the green. If you see the green your late. But experiment, and don't
be so concerned about leaving too soon or too early, just have fun and
get a feel for things. Bring us back a 14 second time slip!

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com