Re: No nitrous after 1993!!!! :-(

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 17:59:31 EST

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, WillTier wrote:

> << (Bill, do you know how your NOS system works?
> Does it hook into the computer at all?) >>
>
> Jon
>
> Who did you talk to, Mike Flynn ? He is very knowledgeable and very frustrated
> at CC, no help at all. You need to raise the fuel pressure to the injectors,
> which is what mine does. The have a regulator and a jet attached to the high
> pressure nitrous line which is tee'd into the fuel regulator vacuum line. When
> the nitrous is triggered it pressurizes the fuel regulator and with the
> addition of a high pressure fuel pump in-line with the original they build the
> injector pressure up to around 90# at WOT, normally around 40-45 at WOT. This
> forces more fuel through the same injector allowing the presence of the
> nitrous. My thought was to run a second line from the tank and install a Tee
> or "Y" with a check valve on both fuel lines. thus when running NOS it would
> also trip a relay for High pressure pump which would build pressure due to
> check valve and get the job done ??? We have been researching the Neon for NOS
> and it has the same problems. Also somebody on the list put one on a 95, a
> home brew deal and had run 30 - 10# bottles without problems and good
> performance. I asked for more info and got some but neede more.

  Neon, eh? Is your son looking to break out of the 15's? :-)

   I'm not sure who I talked to. If he gave his name, I've forgotton
it. :-P Whoever it was, he was knowledgeable enough to know
exactly what the inside of a 318 intake manifold looks like! I did
ask the guy a few questions along the lines of, "what about... would
this work..., etc." I was feeling a little insecure, what with
next to nil working knowledge of nitrous talking to this guy who has
been trying to put nitrous on this engine for 2-3 years...

   Your fuel pump idea is interesting. I asked him an almost
identical question. The only problem is that I don't remember
what his response was. (That is, I asked him two, and I'm not
sure which response goes with which question. Maybe you or someone
on the list can help.) Here they are:

   I asked 2 questions:
    - Could a higher output fuel pump be used?
    - Could larger injectors be used?

  His answers were:
     - Not really; that would only increase the pressure at the
       injectors, but not the volume.
     - Yes, that would work great when the nitrous is running, but the
          rest of the time, you'd be running really rich.

   Can anyone match the answer to the corresponding question? :-)

   I wish I had paid more attention; its just that there was SO
much information exchanged during that call, and I was really
dissapointed that nitrous wasn't available.

  I have a feeling that the questions and answers are in the
correct order as I have them above.

  Another little twist was when I asked him if it was possible
to ignore the computer and directly control the injectors. His
response was that the amount of fuel delivered was dependant on
engine RPM. I suppose that if the amount of extra fuel (as a
percentage of the total fuel/nitrous ratio) was the same across
the powerband, then simply having a higher pressure fuel source
might work.
   One thing that comes to mind is, assuming that having a second
high pressure fuel pump would work, what about the delay time to
build the pressure? If the nitrous were to hit right away, and
it took the pump a little while to get the fuel pressure up, you'd
have a lean nitrous situation, something to be avoided at all costs.
Maybe the high pressure pump could be located in the engine bay?
Unless of course something like the following would work:

                   ,-----STOCK PUMP----,
 ENGINE =========< >========FUEL TANK
                   '----HI PRESS PUMP--'

   Assuming that both pumps don't allow flow in either direction
when off, that would allow the stock pump to work normally in
non-nitrous conditions, and it would also ensure that all of the
lines are full of fuel at all times. That way, when the high
pressure pump kicks on, the high pressure flow to the engine
should be immediate. Or maybe allow the stock pump to flow
all the time and just suppliment it with the high pressure
pump? Of course, all of this assumes that simply supplying
more pressure to the injectors will work. :-P

   Anyway, Bill, if you'd like any help, I would be VERY interested
in working with you to get a system working on the Neon. (Especially
so if the solution can be retrofitted to the 318.) Sounds like a
lot of fun too. :-)
   NOS would probably be happy to contribute ideas, tech info, etc.
After all, if we can make it work, we'll have to buy their stuff
to put it together. And if someone COULD get this to work, that
would allow NOS to sell systems to (at the very least) Neon,
Chevy Vortec, and Dodge 318/360 owners. I'm sure they would
be quite interested in such a thing. :-)

   If the need were to arise, I've got a little experience
programming CMOS level microcontrollers (microchips). For example,
if we needed a device that could read an input such as RPM and
output a specific voltage per RPM or something, that would be
pretty simple to do. (I have all of the equipment at home
nescessary to program the PIC16F84 EEPROM microcontroller.)

> All your questions and thought have got the wheels turning again, hmmmmm.
>
> Hey got the info from NYIRP, did you, First test and tune is on Sat April 11
> then april 29 for the start of the Wed, night races, S E E E E E Y O U T H E
> R E fer shurrr.

  Yep!! :-) I'm planning to go to the test and tune on the 11th. (And of
course all the Wed. night races. If possible, maybe the weekly Friday
test and tune sessions as well.) Are you going on the 11th? If so, see
you there! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.