Who wants a Ram-Air hood??

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 21:24:57 EST

  I'm posting this information again because the first time I did was on
the weekend. It may have gotten lost in a flood of posts for some people.

   Here's the short story: Pro Glass is giving all DML Members a $25
discount on their $450 Ram-Air hood. (If you want the box to seal off
the air cleaner, it is $60 extra.) However, if we order about 3 or 4 at
the same time, we can get a $50 discount.

  So far, we've got Robert Trottman and myself, and David Thede also posted
that he is interested. Anyone else? Speak up, Robert wants his hood. :-)

  Here's the original post:

  I haven't heard anything about the Pro Glass ram-air hoods on the
list in a while. Are there people who are still interested?

   Here's the deal:

   The ram-air hood costs $450, and the airbox to seal off the air filter
is $60 extra. (You can also opt to have the air simply flow over the
open element air filter, rather than sealing it off. You can also order
a hood that is NOT functional. That is, there is no hole through to the
engine bay.) Pro Glass is giving DML members a $25 discount on the hoods,
so they are $425. However, Terry told me that if some people get together
and order as a group (3-4 or more) he will give us the hoods for $400 each.
That is as low as he can go. He also mentioned to me that he is thinking of
raising the price on them in the very near future to be closer to the price
of the hoods for the Ram.

   So, is anyone interested in a group order? I am definitely going to
order one for myself even at $425, but it would be great to get them

for $400. Pro Glass will take visa, m/c, discover, money orders,
cashiers checks, etc.

   Shipping on these hoods is not cheap. To ship to me, it would cost
about $90. I am VERY seriously thinking about driving down there to pick
up my hood. I live in Western New York state and ProGlass is in the
Northeast corner if Indiana. Its about 350-370 miles for me. If there
is anyone along this route, or in the general vicinity, we can save a lot
on shipping if one of us picks up the hoods and we meet somewhere to
divvy them up. Anyone interested in doing something like that?
(You don't really even have to be "on the route"... If someone was in
PA or central NY, they would only have to come as far west as my house,
which might be 50 or 100 or 150 miles, or whatever. A lot cheaper than
having the hood shipped seperately to you...)

  Let me know...

  I won't do anything for a while, to give everyone a chance to respond,
think about it, etc. If a group of us gets together, I'll post another
message prior to ordering to be sure noone else wants in.

   Incidentally, here are some answers to some issues I was concerned
about which Terry cleared up during my phone call:

   The underhood light: There is a location for it, in the same
place as the stock hood. A couple tiny holes would have to be
drilled to screw the assembly into the hood. I wondered about the
possibility of going through the hood, and Terry explained that there
are two pieces which are molded together, and there is an air space
in the middle. He said that if you wanted to be really careful about
it, you could wrap masking tape around the drill bit so it would only
go in so far, but he said it would be hard to screw up and put a hole
through the top of the hood. (I refrained from relating the Trottman
Carridge Bolt Incident to him.) ;-)

   How will heat affect the paint? According to Terry, it won't. A lot
of fiberglass is created by spraying an inverted mold with gel and then
the glass. Pro Glass hoods are created by a process called "ceramic
matrix" in which the gel is sprayed in, then a layer of ceramic material,
then the glass. So, there is an area of heat insulation in there. (Along
with the air space between the two pieces.)

   Are the hinges reinforced? Yep, the hinges have metal reinforcement,
as does the front of the hood where it latches.

  The kit to seal off the air cleaner will be $60, but it isn't complete
yet. They only have to get a donor truck and test it for fit, and it'll
be done. (On the older trucks that is; I think the kit is done for the
newer trucks.) You can also just let the cold air flow on an open element
filter, or if you're just looking for cosmetics, the hood can be left as-is,
and no opening will be cut.

  Terry said the finish on the hoods is such that a lot of people don't
even bother with primer, it is so smooth.

  I think that's everything.

  Again, lemme know if you're interested.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.