Re: RE: Re: '97 AC pulley

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 23:25:27 EST

Rader wrote:

> Does anybody know if the Dakota A/C compressors are a scroll design?
> I know that Sanden developed an automotive scroll compressor, which is
> a lot more efficient than the piston types.
>
> Ron

No it is not. Sanden does make a scroll for some inport (cant remember which
one) but we cantget one for retro fit on other cars. Sanden says the
compressor is not foolprof enough to use as a
replacement on any car. Something like a pressure regulator is needed or
something like that.
Scroll compressors require less torque than piston types but dont pump at all
well as low rpm.
The compressor in your Dak is most likely a 5 cylinder 10 cubic inch. Possable
a 8 cubic inch.
The newer compressors do require less hp to run though and are usually much
quieter than the
older V2 compressors CC used to use. Talk about big power hungry compressors,
I have a
friend here in Waco who collects Old Mopars like Imperials, DeSotos, Chrysler
300s and he showed me a 55 Imperial with a V4 Copeland compressor on it like
the kind used on commercial
vaults. It is 16 cubic inch, pumps about 60,000btu and requires about 25hp to
run. That car has
2 condensers, 1 in front of rad and 1 behind front bumper. Evaporator is in
trunk like many of the time, and I promise you that black car will get as cold
as a meat locker. Also there is NO clutch
on the compressor so it runs all the time. There is a bypass valve to shut off
freon to evaporator
coil when not needed. Owners manual recommends removal of the belt in
winter. Guess nobody
cared about gas mileage in 55. Especially if they could afford an Imperial!
By the way he also has a Chrysler 300, I think 61 or 62 with the 2 4bbl carbs
sitting over inner fenders about 3 feet apart.