various topics-

From: Patrick & Kelly Engram (shetland@pop.erols.com)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 23:00:08 EST

Just responding to numerous items in my digest-
-on Mike and Jeaninne's new truck questions:
  My Dodge bedliner says "Dodge" molded in by the cab, a plus! It also
has pockets to put 2x4's or 2x6's in for hauling, another plus. It's
quality and fit do not seem any better or any worse than any other
manufacturer's that I have seen. I lost room in my 2wd because the over
the rail liner is flat behind and in front of the wheelwells, you gain
this in an under the rail system but lose protection to the bed rails.
Also an overTR system hides the stake pockets. I cut holes in my to
install the hide-a-loop tie downs into the stake pockets. If no one has
bought these from Dodge, your missing out! They're great-cant see them
until you pop them up to use them , and cheap too. Anyway, as I said on
my last post, I will probably get a spray in liner the next time I need
one, even though its twice the cost.
  Hood insulation is available from dodge-posts just recently about this
topic, check the archives.
  Mud flaps- I installed them even with the flairs on my-just screwed
them to the flairs inside the fender wells, the flairs dont really
interfere unless you wanted to put the flaps on the outside of the
fenders!
-On someone's questions about squeaks with sliding window open-one
person had squeaks from the spring bushings on the rear suspension,
someone else had squeaks from the bed itself, and I had squeaks from a
malfunctioning tailgate latch on one side of my tailgate.
-On gas tank capacities-I usually know if I'm on fumes or a few gallons
left, so I let it pump itself until I know it's close to full. Then I
slow the setting to the lowest one til it clicks off, then maybe a few
cents extra to get it to the nearest dime, quarter, dollar, you know.
By doing this, I try to avoid overfilling and causing fuel to go
backward to the charcoal cannister-(by the way, overfilling an OBDII
vehicle will set a code and put the check engine light on, so will
leaving the gas cap too loose!) I have exceeded the stated capacity of
my gas tanks in both trucks at least a dozen times! (One dak has an 18G,
the other has a 22G) So, no, I dont fill it to the top of the filler
neck, I just let that baby go to fumes. I've never run out, 'cause the
needle it smack even with the E line. Both trucks get 300 miles to the
tankful, even with different capacities, but will take about 1 1/2
gallons less on a refill unless I let the needle go as low as I can.
I've stretched the 22 Gallon to 327 miles, the 18 gallon to 340 miles.
-On redlines- someone confirmed their redline is 4750 like mine and the
new R/T. Funny thing is - my brothers Ram 1500 with the 5.9L has a 5000
RPM redline (1997) Go figure...
-On vibrations the dealer cant figure out- have you had the driveshaft
checked for balance? I heard of a guy with a Furd that got stuck in
water and muck, and it shook real bad cause the driveshaft took on water
through a crack in a weld- but maybe yours was just manufactured out of
balance. That's a relatively quick fix. Throw your truck in neutral
while your on the highway and its vibrating. If it goes away, you may
have isolated a problem in the transmission. Vibrations come from parts
that are moving, so the more things that you can isolate or get to stop
moving, the better you can be a finding it. Have you had a shop put it
in gear and spin the wheels with it up on the lift while someone looked
at the wheels, tires, suspension, etc. Just some ideas...
Sorry for the length everyone, but getting the digest makes it hard to
reply to individuals-

Patrick J. Engram