DML PT 4WD v. FT 4WD

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 14:34:53 EST

} My '98 DAK came from the factory with both full-time and part-time 4WD
} (I think the Mfr. option code is DHC). I have a good understanding of
} how the full-time 4WD system works with the standard "open"
} differentials, but I have not heard a good explanation of how the
} part-time system works nor when it would be appropriate to use it.
} There is nothing about PT 4WD in my owner's manual.

I hadn't heard that full time 4WD was available now. I might have paid
for 4WD if that was the case when I was buying.

The part-time system has NO differential between the front and rear.
The front and rear driveshafts are hard locked together. I would not
use part-time 4WD on pavement unless it was snowing.

} Also, I have been looking at Lock-Right PowerTrax lockers. Anyone out
} there have any experience with this brand or any other locker? Should
} both diffs. be fitted with lockers or will one suffice? Does street
} performance/handling suffer with these devices installed?

A locker on the front diff will seriously screw up street handling.
Even rear lockers can be weird on the street. If you want a serious
dirt playtruck with good street manners get a limited slip in the rear
and an ARB air-locker in the front (push button on the dash to
lock/unlock the front diff).

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD