Re: Dakota 4X4

From: Robert Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 13:31:54 EDT

  Granted, that may not be a big deal to you guys, but I've found that the
vast majority of people who buy the 4x4 option around here almost never
really need it. The only times I'd need it would be our occasional snow
or ice storm (once or twice a year), or a trip to the beach or mountains.
I've gotten stuck twice, where 4x4 would have been a real help, but a come-
along solved my problem and was a heck of a lot cheaper than the 4x option.

  Ron

True, if you live in a relatively mild climate then there are better thingss
to spend the high $$ that goes with 4WD purchase price. I never would make it
to where I go snowmobiling without it under fresh snow conditions (long steep
climb). But maintenance is not the determining factor. (did squat to my Nissan
in 200k miles and the transfer case was still fine). I'd only worry about cost
of 4WD maintenance if you were plowing as a business. For the length of time I
keep my vehicles (several years) I know I'll get my money's worth out of the
4X4 option. Lets see now: several years of getting 40k miles/set on my 4X4 Dak
vs several years of 20k/set on a 2WD Dak when it comes to tires, should just about
pay for things! :-) :-)

-Bob T. '98 Sport+ CC 4X4 V8 5sp 4WABS 3.55 Towing