RE: Backspacing

From: Lance Martz (LanceM@mcmullenargus.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 16:46:01 EDT

Robert,

The back spacing of a wheel refers to how much wheel extends behind the
rotor or drum (depending on which end you're talking about. I swedged a
pair of 18x10s in the rear of my '98 and they tuck. Lots of back spacing
on these wheels. Probably too much, and given, I will wear seals and
bearings. I know this and am prepared to face it approximately every
25-30,000 miles. I believe I had 7 or 8 inches of backspacing on the
rear wheels and 6 or 7 inches of backspacing up front for the 18x8-inch
Colorado Custom wheels I designed for the truck. (I should check the
work order, but I don't have time at the moment)
It's best to go to a wheel/tire shop and have them roll several designs
next to your truck to figure out what you want, then pull a front and a
rear to determine what back spacing you desire. 4x4s tend to have more
positive offsets than do 4x2s, especially if you plan to lower them.
Extreme or even mild lowering and positive offsets DO NOT go together,
just destroys tires and fenders when they contact abruptly. If anything,
you should select a more negative offset to allow clearance when you
lower your ride. Keep in mind that a decent amount of rubber needs to
find its way onto the ground for decent traction on our Kotas, and if
you drop your truck, you'll need to account for the wide rubber as well.
I have 12 inches of rubber on each side at the rear, much better
adhesion now than with stock tires or 50-series tread.
        Offset is something totally different mind you.... That's the
relationship between the wheel pad (center) and the hoop of the rim
itself. Another can o' worms...

This combination is working out fine.....
285/35ZR18 REAR, 18x10-inch wheel, 7or 8-inch b/s
235/40ZR18 FRONT, 18x8-inch wheel, 6 or 7-inch b/s
Hope this helps.
Later,
Lance L. Martz
LanceM@mcmullenargus.com