bad rod, bad bad!

From: John Casall (jcasall@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 23:17:15 EDT

this is scary, mine is a 93 (2.5 L though) and at 103k miles I needed
a head rebuild. Since the truck was mostly apart anyway I decided to
throw in new rings and bearings. Although as a testiment to Dodge,
the cylinder walls had a pretty crosshatch pattern and the bearings
were barely broken in!! I found a loose connecting rod and was quite
glad to have found that before it destroyed the engine.

<I've been pretty happy with my Dakota, until Saturday, Apr 5, 1998
when my engine connecting rod came apart. This happened with no
warning signals whatsoever. It's only got 102,000 miles on it and I've
religiously maintained it, plus I still have 3 payments left. My
family accuses me of underutilizing the truck; I've never redlined or
even
come close, I drive the speed limit, never towed anything and
probably got less than 100 hours in 4wd (never have the time). I just
got the report from the local dealer - $5400.00 for the long block.>

gee, considering the 360 is only $3k I would throw a fit

<In any case, the service manager told me that the oil pump gave out
on my Dakota.>

I have never seen an oil pump fail in my life, being constantly bathed
in oil promotes long life. Did the pump fail b/c it had bits of a con
rod in it or did the rod go b/c no oil pump?

 It seems to me Chrysler should help me out (yeah, I know good luck).
Thanks for listening; now I'll start a letter writing campaign to
Chrysler.

letter writing? Shawshank redemption..if you have never seen this
movie it is a must!