RE: Tire Change

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 21:10:31 EDT

I believe ABS works on the acceleration of the wheels, not the
speed. (Accleration being the rate of change of the speed.) The
tire diameter should not effect this per se. The tire diameter
would effect the rotating moment of inertia of the tire/wheel
assembly, but this should be no more than switching tire types like
snow to regular tires.

I think the ABS should work with any tire/wheel. I also think
that the tire stores would be aware of this and the aftermarket
wheel market would shrink as more cars and trucks get ABS.

 Drive Safe,

 Joe

>Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 22:47:02 -0800 (AKDT)
>From: ROADRUNNER <fsjz@aurora.alaska.edu>
>Subject: DML: tire change
>
>I changed from 215/75R15 wheels to 235/75R15 wheels, keeping the 15x6
>steel rims that came with my stock 97 dak. I know the tire change affects
>the speedo readings, and I did not feel I needed to bring it to
>Dodge for adjustment because the difference is only a few miles per hour.
>Gas mileage is a little lower as well, but I thought I heard that changing
>tire diameter might have additional affects. (Such as affecting ABS
>braking.) Is this true? What other systems will a larger tire cause?

> Johnny Zutz
> University of Alaska Fairbanks
> Email: fsjz@aurora.alaska.edu
> Phone: (907)474-6666 Ext 3633