Re: G-Tec Results on R/T

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Fri Apr 10 1998 - 21:23:49 EDT

Well the R/Ts all broken in (385 miles). My buddy
and I took the R/T and the 5.2L out for comparison
today with the G-tec performance meter. Both are
Club Cabs with sure grip. The 5.2L has the tire and
handling package. So basically they are identical
except ones a R/T and one is a 5.2L SLT. Anyway
here is the rear wheel horse power according to the
G-Tec performance meter:

          5.2L SLT 5.9L R/T
           161 HP 194HP

We nailed it side by side several times and we also
switched trucks for comparison. The R/T pulls away
slowly every time. Doesn't blow it away or anything
just consistently pulls away. I would estimate at the
end of the 1/4 mile the R/T would probably be about 1 to 2
car lengths ahead of the 5.2L based on 0-65 runs. Both
leave burnout's with the R/Ts about twice as long.
Both are a blast to drive. Hopefully sometime this summer
we can take both of the Dakotas to the track and get real
times. Speed limit here in Maryland is 65 but with the
G-Tec you can measure everything but 1/4 mile times
and stay under the speed limit. I'll get the 1/4 mile times
at the track so as not to be a road hazard to myself and
everyone else on the road. I'll take measurements again
after the R/T loosens up. I remember the 5.2L seemed to
get faster after it got a couple of thousand miles on it.
Man this trucks fun!

Mike Catlin