Re: What kind of oil?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 11:36:48 EDT

> everyone will probly think i'm crazy, but
> i started using kendall diesal oil in my DAK.

  Not crazy at all; many people I know run Shell Rotella 15W-40, which is
geared towards diesel engines (but is rated for spark ignition as well).

  Whatever oil you use in your Dak, make sure it meets the minimum specs
called out in your owner's manual. In the case of that diesel oil, make
sure it has at least an "Sx" in addition to it's "Cx" rating (S ==> spark
ignition, C ==> compression ignition). Since you have a '94, I think the
owner's manual calls out for SH oil at the proper viscosity.

  If the Kendall diesel oil doesn't have an "Sx" rating, I wouldn't use
it in my Dak. Not that it will necessarily damage anything, but the oil
isn't specified for your gasoline engine. There might be additive package
incompatibilities, or other nasty things which I wouldn't want to risk.

  Ron