Re: What kind of oil

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 18:08:09 EDT

Gary Ludwick wrote:

> Good column in May Car & Driver by Pat Bedard on oil...how often to
> change...and interview with oil engineer.

  Hmmmm, I'll have to see if I can get access to that. What were the
main points, if you don't mind my asking?

> One note: some name brands do not do their own blending, but farm it out.
> They may supply the base oil, but the blending of additives etc is done by a
> third party.

  That's a really good issue, thanks for bringing it up. Another thing to
consider is that some of the generics and all of the store brands I know of
(NAPA, Advance, etc.) are farmed out to the same plants that blend the
majors. I don't know if the 3rd parties are regional or not, but the NAPA
franchises around here carry a vanity oil blended by the Valvoline plant in
Ashland, KY.

  Besides, NAPA seems to be the only store that carries SAE 40 straight
weight oil that I run in the old lawn mowers during summertime. SAE 50
when they get really ragged out!

  Ron