Re: Wheels, Wheels, Wheels, Tires.....

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 18:34:15 EDT

 From:Tim Roller >starwolf@bewellnet.com

> To start off with, do you have a V-6 or a V-8?? One reason I'm asking is
'cause with such a meaty wheel and tire, you'll think you're only firing on
4 cylinders. The gearing would at least have to be on a V-6 around 3.9's to
have any ability of having any power. Even with a V-8 and 3.5's for a
gearing you'd still notice a big power loss when taking off from a stop. Now
once you got going the momentum would catch up with all the trucks weight
and tire and wheel combo. Now on to your question. Are these wheels going to
be steel or aluminum? Steel wheels are much heavier. Do you want the wheel
and tire to stick out past your fenders or tuck in the wheel-wells (this is
where back-spacing plays a role),even with only 8" wide wheels, you can have
a positive,neutral (or zero), or a negative off-set. The DAKs use what is
called a negative off-set(just like front wheel drives). With 17" wheels you
have a few selections in the 45 series down to 35 series type tires(this is
a ratio of sidewall to tire width measurement, and I would definitly check
with a tire and wheel pro about your options. Or just get a set off the new
R/T model- as long as you have the 6-bolt pattern they'll fit. Also the
front wheels from the VIPER will bolt on. Don't know what their back spacing
is though.