Four Wheeling....

From: Steve (Slow@Primenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 19 1998 - 17:05:34 EDT

Dodge strikes again!=20

        I went four wheeling Saturday, (Street racers bear with us) on
the Bulldog Canyon Trail in Arizona. This is a section of the "Great
Western Trail" that will stretch across the west one day. Mike got the
permit, we met near the trail head, unlocked the gate, aired the tires
down and drove in. Right behind us at the gate were a couple of Chevy
Suburban, one four wheel drive and one two wheel drive. I though this
odd, but Mike had said that there was two ways out of the Canyon, one
easy short route and a longer harder route.=20

        Mike was leading the pack with his Jeep Cherokee, Rod in the
middle in a Ford Ranger, and me in the rear. I figured that my much
lower low range would cause them to pile up behind me so I took the
rear. (Plus they would get stuck first, heh) The trail was fine, and
we took a break in a dry wash. The 'burb crew drove on by, and we
warned the 4X 'burb that the trail is supposed to get bad, and that 2x
should take the easy route out. They kept on going....

        The trail turn rocky and was getting more washed out, I saw
Mike and Rod up ahead stopped and scratching their heads, so I knew a
obstacle was ahead. I stopped and shifted into low range, first gear
and crept up behind them, then opened the drivers door and walked
along side the truck as it crept, when they looked over at me, I
slapped the side of my leg and said "Follow here" (Inside K-9 Joke)
They got a kick out of it.

        The obstacle was a short, very steep hill, as severely washed
out due to recent El Nino storms. There was a second route, way
easier, but it had some bad boulders in it. After walking it, we
decided to do the hard way. Mike was first up, he crept up the middle,
and got caught in a hole, unloaded his tires and spun. He backed up,
turned, and stabbed the throttle, and spun in the same hole, but with
different tires. He backed up again, locked the brakes and slid
sideways a little. He immediately stabbed the throttle, and bounced
over the top.=20

        Rod was next, he took what looked to be the correct line. He
spun into a crack, and then stomped on it and bashed his way over the
top. So much for finesse...

        My turn, locked it in low range, first gear, lit a smoke and
headed uphill. The wife and kids walked up, and she refused to watch
or take pictures of my attempt. The Dak just walked right up,never
slipped a tire, and never used the go peddle. It just putted right up.
Mike and Rod watched, and took some pics of me showing off the Dodge.
the 'burb crew was on top watching and commented on how easy I made it
look. The 2x 'burb was snatched up the bypass by the 4x, seriously
mangling his bumper in the process....

        The trail got worse, and I was just putting along saving
paint. Mike's Jeep is lifted with 31"s, Rod Ranger is not lifted, but
has large Tires on it and his fenders suffered. (He claims the Truck
is a heep, so he doesn't care.) Saw them stopped ahead, and figured
for another obstacle, but the 2x 'burb was stuck in a wash. We watched
as they broke three straps, and there was no bypass. They finally
snatched it out with a chain and us pushing.=20
=09
        The trail is nothing for the hard core, but for stockers it is
a challenge. The Canyon was beautiful, with the Brittlebush totally
covering the hillsides. I have never seen it blooming like that
before, and the Desert Poppies were everywhere also....

        Was a fun day, and the Mopar Tow Hooks saved my Lower airdam a
couple of times. Not a scratch other than the skid plates....

Steve, 29
Apache Junction, Arizona

97' Dakota, CC, 4X4, 5 Speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes,
Mud Flaps, spare-tire lock, Step-Shields, EVSII Alarm, Gibson Single
3" Cat-Back,Tow Hooks.

=09