Re: Mods with OBII

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 18:49:01 EDT

At 05:39 PM 4/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have some questions regarding modifications with OBII. I just bought a 98,
>318, 5 speed and I don't have the service manual for it yet. What exactly
>happens if the computer gets a fault, like when it doesn't run through a
>complete warm cycle? Does the truck go into some type of limp in mode where
>you have to see your friendly Dodge dealer to get it running again? If you
>install a 180 degree or lower thermostat what effect does this have on
>performance, emissions and the computer itself. What are the limits in
>increasing air flow before you have problems? I understand OBII is harder to
>work around but there must be ways to approach these concerns.
>
>Has anyone done anything other than airboxes and exhaust mods to a vehicle
>with OBII? I would like to increase performance, and hopefully keep it close
>to legal.

   Yep, OBDII is restrictive, but not as much as many people think.
There is still quite a bit you can do. So far, I have an open element air
cleaner, MP computer, and a 180 degree thermostat in my '96, with no problems
or trouble codes yet. If you'll be installing a computer which advances the
timing, a 180 degree thermostat is practically a must to eliminate pinging.
  I don't know if you'd want to go any lower than that; I've heard that the
computer likes to hit 180 degrees.

   Superchargers might cause a problem (in theory) because it is run all the
time, but something like nitrous which runs at WOT when the computer is in
a closed loop shouldn't cause problems.

   There's some info at:

 http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/OBD2/

  I believe there is also another OBD2 page out there, but I
don't remember the URL. Perhaps someone else does. (Or it is probably
in the archives.)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.