re: DML air shocks

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 21:21:14 EDT

} From: Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu>
} Subject: DML: Air Shocks?
}
} I know about air bags, and hydros, but what are air shocks. I went into
} a place today to see about getting my rear shocks replaced, he said "You
} want air shocks?" I though, air shocks, gas shocks, whatever. He
} quoted me $215. That's when I realized we weren't talking about the
} same thing. But what are air shocks? Does that mean that I can adjust
} my ride height for $215? If so, could I have a set up where I can raise
} it a few to stick some slicks on at the track, then put stock rubber on
} a drop it back to stock height?

You got it right. Air shocks have been around since the 60s, maybe
longer (that's how long I've been around). They used to be popular for
the family station wagons. Load it up then air up the rear shocks to
bring the ride height back up. Air springs are very progressive, so as
the shock gets near the end of it's stroke they get damn near rigid.
Don't expect a good ride with them pumped up (but maybe that's a + at
the dragstrip). I don't know how well they work as shocks with no air.

--
Frank Ball   1UR-M           frankb@sr.hp.com       (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard              (707) 794-3038 fax     (707) 538-3693 home