Re: 4 whl ABS help

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 10:29:31 EDT

> I took my 95 Dodge Dakota in today because of a problem with my brakes (4
> whl ABS) and they told me that there was contamination in the brake fluid.

  Hmmmm, sounds fishy to me. I'm sure that contamination is possible, but
from what you describe it is either water from hydroscopic action, or came
that way from the factory. In either case, it should be covered under
warranty. Get a sample of the "contaminated" brake fluid yourself, in case
you need to prove your case.

  I would ask the service manager exactly how they determined that there
was contamination. Did they send it out for analysis, or did they eyeball
it and say "yep, looks brown?"

> The dealership has a call into the regional rep. They said Chrysler may not
> cover the repairs, ?an all new brake system?.

  Get ready to defend your position. I think they're just looking for an
out on the warranty service. I too do my own maintenance work, and am sure
many of us on the DML want to see how you fare. If you have to take it through
arbitration, then do it. Check the warranty information that came with your
truck; it will have procedures to follow if you are not happy with the service
you're getting.

  Good luck,

  Ron