Re: Engine Oil Leak

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 20:50:30 EDT

> After I drove the truck approximately 10 miles from the
> dealership to my home after their "repair," the engine burst into flames,
> the hood release cable melted and I could not get under the hood to put
> out the fire. My previously unblemished DAK (the insurance adjuster could
> not believe that there were no scratches, dings or dents on the truck)
> was destroyed form the firewall(what an appropriate name) forward. The
> truck had less than 12k on the odometer and ran great.

Was this before or after I joined the list? :-)

> Though I didn't think my insurance should have to pay for the loss, they
> did. The residual value of the truck was so great that I was able to buy
> a brand new '95 SLT CC with all of the same features plus the newest
> standard features that came with it like the gas shocks and airrbag, for
> $49.57 over the insurance settlement!

Did your rate go up? I should think not.Just a side- note, a lot of shows
require entrants to have a fire extinguisher in their vehicle. How many list
members pack an UNheater? I plan on getting a cheap one and putting it in
the bed near the rear when I carpet it. Your story is scary, and made me
think, is there a metal replacement for the hood release? (Mine will be
fiberglass soon, so It'll just melt and maybe put out the fire (that's it, my
new hood is a safety feature:-))
Later, and I'm glad it all worked out in the end,
Robert

--
Mailto:rotrottmann@davidson.edu
http://thelma.davidson.edu/rotrottmann/web/default.htm