Ending a Thread

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 22:27:45 EDT

When you are in a crowded room that is too loud, and needs to be quiet,
most people will begin to shh! other people. This just adds to the
noise, and ends up not helping the situation. A more effective way to
quiet an entire room is to turn to someone near you who is talking, and
ask them politely to be quiet, or simply be quiet yourself and wait.
I believe a similar method should be used on the DML. If there is a
thread that is getting off- topic, do not ask to end it via the DML, as
this merely adds to the volume you wish to lessen. And often ends up
legnthening the thread in a debate over what should or should not be on
the DML.
Instead, ask those participating in the long thread, via private e-mail,
to take their discussion elsewhere. I know I am not totally innocent of
this, but I have responded many a time to Bruce, Brad, and others when
discussions between myself and them get off- topic. Recently, I have
responded more than once to Tony, via private e-mail, in order to
relieve others of this petty discussion.
Have a nice day,
Robert

--
Mailto:rotrottmann@davidson.edu