oil leaks

From: Patrick & Kelly Engram (shetland@pop.erols.com)
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 00:23:46 EDT

While helping my brother in law find a nice low mileage truck recently,
I had the opportunity to examine many 5.2 and 5.9L Dodge engines. I was
very supprised to see how many had oil leaks, some with as little as 15K
miles on them. Here are the most common leaks I found:
  -Intake manifold leaks at the factory silicone bead in the front of
the manifold and in the back of the manifold.
  -Oil pressure switch leaking
  -Cylinder head gaskets leaking

The intake was the most common.
  He finally bought a beautiful 22K mile Ram that had a slight oil leak
that was coming from the front and rear intake, with my advice to have
it fixed immediately under the warranty. (He got tired of looking for a
low mileage non-leaker and decided just to buy this one.) His truck
also came with a transferrable extended warranty. The first dealer said
they couldn't find an oil leak anywhere. This was after I saw the oil
leak laying on my back looking underneath with a flashlight, and after
a Maryland State Inspection mechanic confirmed my diagnosis when the
truck was being inpsected. The dealer had his "best man" on it and was
being supervised by his "best service advisor", who's combined
experience totaled over 40 years. The service manager said that if it
they said it wasn't leaking, then it wasn't, and he take their word to a
court of law and stick by them, that's how good they are! I asked if he
would go out himself and have the truck brought back in and check it out
himself. Of course he respectfully declined. I did talk him into
bringing it in so I could show him the oil leak! Well, it went to
another dealer. They said the oil switch was leaking and replaced it.
The oil leak is still there, needless to say....
  It's a shame that you cant find a good mechanic nowadays, I should
know, I am a mechanic. These buttheads make our job that much harder
and make you guys hate us even more (right Keredt?)
  Patrick