re: Carrying A Motorcycle In 6.5' Bed

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 18:53:46 EDT

} Were these street bikes or dirt and is this a long bed or regular 6.5'
} box? I have been trying to figure out if my street bike will fit in
} my 6.5' bed, but I don't think it will unless there is a trick
} solution...

When we load our Dual Sport Bikes in my friends Dak (Yamaha XT350 and
XT600) the tailgate closes about half way, then we hold it there with
tie downs. Most bikes will fit diagonally in the bed with the tailgate
closed (one bike maximum). It's easy with a dirt bike, but this is a
bitch if it is a heavy bike, and Harleys and Gold Wings probably still
won't fit. I use a trailer with my Dak because I usually have the
camper shell on.

Tip on ramps: look in the yellow pages under "steel". Get a piece of
6" wide steel channel 6.5' long. Its heavy, but its cheap and strong as
hell.

--
Frank Ball   1UR-M           frankb@sr.hp.com       (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard              (707) 794-3038 fax     (707) 538-3693 home