Re: MTL viscosity?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 09:27:01 EDT

Tom Leake wrote:

> GL -4 is used for gearboxes which are more sensitive to the harsherchemicals
> required to achieve GL -5

  Interesting. So the GL specs are not supposed to be reverse-compatible, as
the (SAE? ANSI? I can't remember who assigns these) specs for motor oil? E.g.
The latest oil spec for spark ignitions is SJ, and this is OK for use in any
engine which was originally designed to use an earlier spec, like SG.

> I believe most boat drives require GL- 4

  Now you've piqued my curiosity, so I'll have to check my Penta manual. ;)

  Ron