Re: Emergency Brake Stuck!!

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue May 05 1998 - 09:45:11 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> If this
> ever happens again, I think I can handle the repair myself.
> (Assuming I catch it before the drum warps of course...)

  You should always be able to back off the brake shoes with the
adjuster, using a brake spoon, in cases where the drum is difficult to
remove. You can then take the drum to your local machine shop (many
parts houses as well) to have the drums turned on a lathe, to take
any ridges or warping out. Assuming the drums are not that far gone,
that is.

> As I was sitting there watching him though, I got a bad case
> of "lift envy".

  We all have that. I'm seriously considering looking at one of those
hydraulic mini lifts that they had on Shadetree Mechanic. Drive on and
jack the whole vehicle up 18" or so.

> I'll be using my parking brake all the time from now on to
> keep it from sticking again. (Do you think I should push it
> down all the way until it stops, or just part way?)

  I think you should let it hold the vehicle, so push it in all
the way.

  Ron