Re: Magnums no more

From: Tomdamit (Tomdamit@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat May 09 1998 - 20:37:46 EDT

<<
 Err... Mercedes dropped out of sports car racing back in the 50's or 60's
 after a
 crash involving a Mercedes race car, and the tire flew into the stands
 killing a few
 people. This is the story I've been told by the Mercedes mechanic friend of
 mine,
 years ago. I then saw a story about Mercedes return to racing on tv years
 ago (in the
 late 80's I believe), and the same story was told... and they showed the
 crash, and the
 tire that flew into the stands. As I recall, it was a 300 that was involved
 in the crash.

 Sam '95 SLT

Actually, it was 1955 at the LeMans 24 hour race that Pierre LeVegh lost
control of his Mercedes 300 SLR and the whole car launched into the crowd on
the pit straight killing 80+ spectators. As you might imagine, a grim day for
motor racing in general and particularly for Mercedes. Nothing was ever found
to be wrong with the car itself. Mercedes retired from racing at that time
but have come on strong again in recent years.

Tom Ware
Riverside, CA
'98 Sport CC