RE:Truckin' Purgatory Dakota Update

From: Lance Martz (LanceM@mcmullenargus.com)
Date: Mon May 11 1998 - 17:19:39 EDT

Intakes & K&N
The drop in did nothing as I said before. It would be great for grampa
who just wants to be thrifty with his $$. It will last forever, but does
nothing in the GO FAST dept. for ya'.
The 360 FIPK I did put on my '97 later on (it was intended for a '96)
killed some low-end power, and made the truck lean out.. This just
served to piss me off most of time, but it sounded kinda cool sucking so
much air.

Updates....
I just got back from a trip to the Colorado River with my Kota to shoot
Spring Splash '98. On the way there, I lost the second driveshaft
accordion boot/dust seal at about 90 mph. Sounded like the truck had
J-brakes like a semi. This was the second one to let loose as I said.
Has anyone else lost this piece? It explodes at 90 mph and upwards. I
pulled the truck over at a rest stop and yanked the leftovers. Then I
drove it at 100+ the rest of the way to the river with no problems. In
the heat, the truck has to have a tank of premium 92 octane AND a can of
104 Octane Boost or it's just not a happy camper under full boost. As
far as performance goes, the truck is now putting out 275 horsepower
(196.1 before the blower) and 397 ft./lbs. torque (253.4 before the
blower). This means 350 horse at the flywheel. (R/T what?) These are
rear wheel figures on an above-ground DynoJet dyno using a six-pound
pulley. It is typical to lose as much as 10 hp on an above-ground dyno
due to vibration and altitude variance. The truck was tested in Rancho
Cucamonga, California. The stock intake bonnet is still being used and
accounts for 15 horsepower in restriction. I've got to figure out a new
way to go....
The truck is slated to go under the knife again in a day or two for
about 2 weeks to pro street the rear suspension. I'm not tubbing the
rear end, I've already got 11 inches of rubber on each side at the rear.
I'm just utilizing a four-link setup with a driveshaft loop and airbags
all the way around. The rear shock mounts will be dual-purpose to allow
the use of coil-over for drag strip fun. I'm not sure when I'm going to
be able to run the truck again at the track, show season is here again.
I'll be in Tennessee this coming weekend at the MiniTruck & Euro
Nationals. The weekend following the next weekend will mean another show
that's local but no time to run the truck. In September, it's FINALLY
going to leave for Oklahoma to be painted by Charles "The Kid"
Armstrong. And to think I get to drive my old beat-down bug the whole
time the Kota is gone.. ~~~Yuck !!~~~

And that's the way it is...
Later,
Lance L. Martz