Re: KN Rubbing

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue May 12 1998 - 15:02:58 EDT

plescure@ebawaste.com wrote:

> I have a 94 Club Cab 4x4 with a 5.2 V-8 my problem is that the top front of the K&N Filter
> housing is rubbing on the hood liner (the bolt is OK); also the top radiator hose is rubbing
> against the hood liner and is starting to get a worn spot. I have not lifted the truck or done
> anything that would have changed the angle of the engine. Does anybody else have this
> problem? I was wondering if jacking the transmission up a little and adding a shim under
> the mount might help? Any ideas?
>
> Pierre

I have that, but not as bad as yours sounds. Mine just *barely* touches
the front of the can, not enough to wear a spot on the liner but you can
see the dust outlined on it and the front part of my K&N lid is slighty
buffed. Someone else can tell you better about shiming the tranny and
stuff. I assume your liner is not sagging? I have no problems at all
clearing my radiator hose.

On a related note, I just cleaned my liner the other day. It was
stained pretty bad from getting anti-freeze slung onto it when my old
radiator started leaking. Looked like crap, so I got some Simple Green
and sprayed a good ammount of it onto the entire liner (full strength)
and let that soak in for a few minutes. Then I took the water hose and
sprayed it until all the suds were washed out (took a while) but now the
liner looks almost as good as a new one. I still have a few spots I
missed so I may do it one more time. The Simple Green cleaned up the
motor pretty good like someone else mentioned. I sprayed everything,
wires, distributor, SBEC, alternator, the whole nine yards with a strong
spray from the hose. Soaked everything. I did cover my K&N with a
Wal-Mart plastic bag. You will need to have some air holes in the bag
or it will have a hard time running.... But I had no problems with the
truck starting or running. I did let it idle while I sprayed it and
afterwards I idled it for a good while to dry it out some.

--
---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt