Re: Gear Lube Change on '98

From: VATEKHOKIE (VATEKHOKIE@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed May 13 1998 - 13:41:01 EDT

Did the 97's have the same?
______________________

<<Howdy,

FWIW I changed the lube in my '98 5.2l 5-speed tonight to Mobil 1. Here
is what I learned:

The tranny plugs take a 17mm hex to remove them. I made a removal tool by
brazing a M10 nut amd bolt together. Worked like a champ. I was
prepaired to put a magnet in the drain plug. After removal I saw that
the stock drain plug has a magnet. After 1084 miles the magnet had about
a 1/4" ball of fuzz on it.

I also had magnets to put in the differential cover. There were seven
1/4" by 3/16" rare earth disks. I simply epoxied them to the lower part
of the cover where they would not hit anything. When I reached in to
wipe out the last bit of juice from the main housing I found the stock
magnet :-) It is an industrial thickness refferigerator magnet on the
floor of the housing. This had a bunch of black spooge which I was able
to wipe off.

Moral of the story... Both the tranny and differential have magnes in them
from the factory to collect chips.

Drive Safe,

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA