RE: RE: speed limiter

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 13:17:58 EDT

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Lance Martz wrote:

> Removal of the speed governor must be done through programming. This has
> been a thorn in my side since having the truck supercharged. They didn't
> change the rev limiter or speed governor. If anyone finds a way to do
> it, (or a company that will) let me know..
>
> Lance

   I would be surprised if you manage to find anyone who can do this.
Mopar is fairly picky about information like the programming in their
PCM's becoming common knowledge. I suspect they're using code protected
chips in the PCM. (Many (if not most) chips allow you to "download"
the program from their memory. Code protect prevents this in order to
keep people from seeing what is on the chip. Cable companies use
code protected chips in their cable boxes to try and prevent people
from burning their own chips and unlocking channels.)

   Jules posted a message once and said they were monitering a PCM, and
seeing which addresses the computer accessed in the PROM. This is probably
the only way to find out what's going on. You can't read the program off
the chip, but you can feed it inputs and see how it reacts, then guess at
the algorithm which causes this behavior. There's a big margin of error
though, and its a *lot* more work.

                                              -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.34@89.10), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |