Re: R12 to R134a Conversion

From: jim miller (jmiller@eramp.net)
Date: Mon May 18 1998 - 11:54:02 EDT

It not all that bad but u need recovery machines or recycle the freon and u
should be a licensed A/C repairman. It is probably not legal for you to try
to do it
But if u must, here is what must be done. Remove the R12 from the system
using a recovery machine. (It is a federal crime to let the freon escape into
the air). Next remove the compressor and drain all the oil from it. The oil
must be drained out of the holes where the hoses came off. Remove the dryer
or accumulator which ever your veichle has. Use an approved A/C chemical
flush to completely remove all oil from the lines, evaporator and condenser.
Next replace the dryer or accumulator with a new one and put R134a approved
oil in the compressor. (it only holds a few ounces. Refer to a shop manual
to find out how much. This is important!) Reinstall the compressor and
vacuum the system with a pump. Then reinstall the correct ounces of R134a.
Refer to a shop manual for the correct amount. (sometimes it is written on
the compressor or on a label under the hood. Finally put a label on the
veichle showing the conversion to R134a. Also it will be necessary to
install adapters on the charging valves and use different charging hoses for
each refrigerant.
This is why I don't think this is a "shade tree" job!