RE: Backfire through throttle body

From: Rhyner, Mark (RhynerM@emh1.hqisec.army.mil)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 11:54:45 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Steiger [mailto:stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 1998 9:59 PM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Backfire through throttle body

   I got out of work today, and about a mile or so out, I was sitting at
a traffic light when I gave it a quick shot of gas. The engine
made this popping noise that I can only assume was a backfire out of
the throttle body. The engine ran just fine after that. I pulled over
right away and pulled off the air cleaner to see if there was anything
unusual (like pieces of my engine embedded in the K&N) but the throttle
body and the air cleaner looked normal.

  This is the first time my truck has ever done this. Is this anything
to worry about? What would cause it?

  Thanks very much in advance!

Hi Jon,

Are you sure of the location of the noise, i.e., it came from the TB/air
cleaner area? Do you have headers? Maybe you're developing a loose fit
somewhere. Worth a check.

Did the air cleaner top have residue on the bottom of it. Usually an
indication that a backfire occurred in that area.

I don't think I would get overly worried about it unless it happens
again. Worth checking for loose nuts/bolts/clamps/(vacuum hoses?)
though.

Mark R
93 5.2Magnum, CC, LE, slushbox, pigeon hauler