Decal removal -Reply

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 16:18:40 EDT

I removed the vinyl decals on my '98 black sport, but the plastic emblems
that come on SLT vehicles should come off in a similar manner. This is
how I did it.

1. Park the truck in the sun for ~15 minutes to warm up the body panels.
This can be done with a heat gun (or hair dryer), but it's summer, so why
bother?

2. Carefully peel as much of the decals as you can off as one piece. If it
starts to tear, try starting at a different point. This is the part where you
can save yourself alot of work, so don't be in a big hurry. With a little
patience, most of the adhesive will come off with the decals.

3. You should now just have a little adhesive residue left. Lightly rub
with your thumb to roll as much as possible into a ball for easy removal.

4. To get the rest off, rub lightly with a soft cloth saturated with WD-40.
Not alot of pressure is needed, be patient.

5. Wash and dry the area you worked on to get any WD-40 off.

6. Wax this area.

That's it. Hope it helps. If the paint is really as thin as you say, you may
want to try an inconspicuous spot first.

Steve