Re: DML:Cams and Sniffers attn: Scott

From: svieth@ameritech.net
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 16:07:22 EDT

> Scott,
> Maybe you (or anyone for that matter) can help me out on this. I am torn
> about this whole cam thing. I want to get a cam for my 88 V6 but the
> local Dodge Dealer says that it won't pass emissions if I put it in, but
> on the other hand, I hear that it will still pass a sniffer with the cam
> and headers. Magnum Performance told me it WILL pass. Whaddaya think?
> -mike sykes
> miggitymike@juno.com >or< mpsykes@erols.com
> 88, V6, LE, 3.55, AUTO-

Since you invoked my name, I feel obligated to help. :^)

Often times, dealerships mean well but don't know their
arse from a hole in the ground. To get the definitive
answer on your emissions question, follow these steps:

1) Call the Mopar Performance Tech Line and run your cam
question by them.

2) Call the folks at one of the larger Dodge dealerships like
West Oaks Dodge and/or Koller. They'll be able to answer
your question.

3) Post the specs and brand name of the cam you are thinking
about on the Dak list so everyone can help out.

I can't tell you from where I am sitting if your truck will fail
the sniffer or not. You didn't tell us which bumpstick you
are thinking of using. Also, have you done any other mods
to the engine or is it fairly original?

Good luck!!!

-Scott :^)

"No, Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live. It's a
terrible strain on the illustrator's wrist."