RE: "Synthetic" oil filters(rader)

From: Ayotte, Glen (ayotteg@espn.com)
Date: Wed May 20 1998 - 16:18:03 EDT

It was WWW.MOBIL.COM

Glenn Ayotte

-----Original Message-----
From: Rader [mailto:rlr@bbt.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 1998 11:13 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: "Synthetic" oil filters

> I checked out Mobil's web site last night. They listed there own oil
> filters as being designed for use with Synthetic oil.

  Sounds like marketing hogwash to me. What the heck can they be trying
to say? Technically, what is different about the Mobil 1 filter that
makes it work better with synthetic oil? Can you run it with mineral
oil? Why or why not?

  The role of an oil filter is to filter out particulate matter. It
should filter out as fine particulates as is practical with as little
resistance as possible. This sort of physical process really shouldn't
be dependent on the base stock of the motor oil in question.

  As for me, I'll stick with Wix.

  What was that web site's URL, so I can check out these claims for
myself?

  Thanks,

  Ron