Re: 180 Deg. Thermo. Attn: Jon S.

From: Mike P Sykes (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 22:31:03 EDT

I got a bunch of crap about foglights from PepBoys... they gave me some
BS about how I can't use aftermarkets nd I have to go to the dealer....
whatever....
-mike sykes

88, V6, LE, 3.55, AUTO-
miggitymike@juno.com >or< mpsykes@erols.com

"Get outta' da' Ice Cream Truck! Dis' is a Jack move, sucka' "
                                        - Don't be a Menace to South
Central.....

On Fri, 22 May 98 10:04:21 -0500 fawcett@uism.bu.edu writes:
> I just got off the phone with the Stant-Thompson Tech. line
> (800-894-7310) trying to confirm I got the right part # for my
>'98 Dak
> with the 5.2L 318... The reason I called is my local Pep Boys
> recommended p/n 59358 for a 180 deg. heavy duty thermo. and I
>noted in
> your (great!) instructions that your p/n was 65358... Well,
>first the
> guy wanted to know why I wanted to put a 180 in the truck as a
>195 is
> called for. When I told him I wanted mainly to eliminate some
>minor
> pinging and secondarily to perhaps get a little more HP, he
>basically
> said I was all wet! He said the lower temp. thermo. would
>screw-up my
> emissions because the computer would think the engine was always
>cold
> and run in a rich condition --like having the choke on all the
>time...
> When I pressed him a little bit to just find out if this thing
>would
> fit before I started ripping into the engine... he wouldn't tell
>me!
> Said I couldn't trick him into recommending the wrong part for
>the
> engine and I should take it to the dealer (he's either wound too
>tight
> or he's on the wrong side of the paranoia line!)...
>
> Soooooo what gives? Is this a good, bad or marginal mod for the
> truck? My main goal is to eliminate some minor pinging and if
>this is
> part of the cure how do I find out what the right p/n is for a
>'98 as
> even the manufacturer won't tell me?! Also, what's the opinion
>from
> the list of what this guy is telling me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> T.
> Boston, MA

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]