Re: BIGGER tires...again

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Sat May 23 1998 - 06:17:48 EDT

At 02:10 AM 5/23/98 EDT, you wrote:
>i have a 97 DAKOTA and want to know what size tires i can put on it with out
>voiding the warranty. The 31s would be fine (durango). Id also like to not
>sacrifice ride and comfort. No one seems to know this answer. My dealer is
>full of idiots. Also how can i confirm the answer with Dodge. Someone out
>there help me. Thank you.
>
>Tonino

Unfortunately you aren't talking to Dodge when you ask about making
modifications. You're talking to their lawyers. They hear the word
"change", "swap" or "modify" and seem to get into a mode of "we recommend
that you do nothing to change the vehicle, we designed it to be perfect, and
if you do anything to it you'll just mess it up and we won't be responsible."

In reality, the 97 4x4s came from the factory with 31x10.5 tires as an
option, so I'm sure they'll fit. Especially if you're willing to get a set
of the same 15x8 rims, but that will of course increase the price quite a
bit. Since you have a 97 you'll have a much easier time than I am with my
95. Biggest tires from the factory that year were 235/75R15, and of course
the dealer tells me that Dodge does not recommend exceeding this size, so
they won't, regardless of whether it would really work.

If your dealer is full of idiots, might I suggest another dealer? Even
though you're not supposed to make modifications yourself, the dealer should
be able to, although you'll pay the really big bucks there.

HTH, Jason