Re: Throttle Body Mod was 14" Air filter (Tony)

From: catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Sun May 24 1998 - 23:04:05 EDT

> >painted the base high temp black and wala! This air
> >filter looks great and the sound alone has to be worth
> >150 HP :~).
> >
> >Mike Catlin
> >

> > The eldebrock I used measures 14 1/8x 3 1/4 on the truck.
> A slight rub mark on the hood. I still have the paper
> filter and will probably swap it out for the K&N. It was
> $29.95 at Ramchargers.Hey Mike, did you use the s-bolt?
> And don't you think there is 20 horse in the filter swap?
> Also, did you leave your stock box on your truck for a
> little fresh air to the filter?
>
> Tony

Tony,
The MP air filter came with a bolt that I just bent into an S.
I have to agree with you on the HP probably about right over
the stock system. I pulled the entire old box, hose ect out
but left my ram air hose aimed at the air filter. While I was
changing out the bolt for the air filter I saw how restrictive the
stock throttle body is so today I attacked the throttle body.
Cut everything flush to the top of the throttle body except
4 small nubs at each corner to hold the air filter base.
Then using a grinder ground down everything and put a
nice bevel into the two throttle body bores (Stopped at the top
of the butterflies where its already polished). Next I sanded
everything down starting with course and ending with #400.
Looks great and feels pretty good. I'll check it with the G-Tech
this week. It took about 6 hours to do. When I finished I
was going to take my wife for a ride so I started it up and
the Check Engine light comes on. My wife goes "Couldn't
leave it alone could you" well I explained to her the Check
Engine light comes on after every successful mod and is
an indication of a massive horse power gain. Told her in
order to reset the computer several massive full throttle
burn outs would be necessary :~). After I dropped her
off I disconnected the computer for 5 minutes and it reset
the check engine light. I figure the throttle body was probably
wet or something after working on it for 6 hours. Anyway the
light hasn't come back on so far. I would recommend this mod
as it feels like a HP increase although I'll check this week.

Mike Catlin