Re: 5.9L swap in New York

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon May 25 1998 - 20:55:45 EDT

><< but what I REALLY want to do is drop the 380 crate
> motor in there. :-) (Why go halfway, eh?) >>
>
> If thats what you want!! But why spend 3500 on a motor when you can get more
>dumping 3500 into your own block! Just a thought, any comments anyone? I
>could be wrong! (Its happened before!)
> Eric K

   Well, probably the only reason I'd upgrade to the crate motor is if
mine got too tired or something happened to it, where it would take
some decent money to fix. I'm certainly not going to get rid of a
perfectly good motor. This is just something I've got in the back
of my mind, and I'm collecting info about it in case that day ever
comes. I figure my current motor is probably good for several
years more, and a couple or a few hundred thousand miles...
  Also, like Scott mentioned, the crate engine lets you start over
brand new, which is nice piece of mind. I'm trying to make
performance purchases that can be used on the crate engine, just in case.

   As far as the supercharger goes, yep, I understand where you're
coming from, and as little as a few months ago, I'd agree with
you. Recently, I've obtained a new perspective on engines and
performance however. I would much rather extract the dormant
gains in the engine ("treating the problem") than bolt on a
quick-fix ("treating the symptoms"), which is going to put
additional wear on the engine and generate a lot of heat. Sure,
after I did the heads, cam, intake, etc. I might consider a
supercharger, but to be honest with you, nitrous would come
before the blower.

   Also, you're not nescessarily stuck with a carb on the crate
engine; it can be set up for fuel injection as well; its more
work and money no doubt, but its do-able. (And my intake and
throttle body for the 318 will probably just bolt right up.)
  Who knows? Maybe by the time I'm ready to do this, they'll
be selling a FI version...

   $3500 does sound like a lot of money (it is), but that seems
to be a reasonable price for the crate motor. Heck, price an
aircraft engine sometime! A Lycoming O-320 which makes anywhere
from 150-180HP (depending on how its configured) sells for $19,000.
   Granted, its apples and oranges, but it makes that crate engine
seem like a downright bargain! :-)

                                              -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.34@89.10), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |