Hypertech PTM for Dakotas (and JET attn. sean)

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 08:52:09 EDT

>I wonder how they will compare to the JET modules? Speaking of, Sean, I
>thought I saw something that said you had one. How do you like it? What
did
>you pay for it? You know, all the good details...
>Will '97

     I like it. Cost me like $230 after shipping. Got it thru Howell
Automotive. This place is top notch. Sat and shot the bull with the guy
(not sure if it was Howell himself or not......had his name on the return
address I think or the shipper) for like 15 minutes after ordering. He was
askin' about the truck and mods, etc.

It took a day or so to fully kick in so it was a little harder to notice
but the truck definitly feels like it's got more punch on acceleration and
it certainly tachs up a lot faster. I finally just noticed it on the
second day on the way into work....sort just hit me, "man...this thing *is*
movin' quicker". The JET doesn't have as much timing advance as the Mopar
boxes. I can run 89 in mine with the 180 stat with no ping at all even tho
they recommend 93. The truck feels like the timing is coming in sooner but
the total advance isn't raised as much as the Mopar. I'd be willin' to bet
you could tow with this one no sweat. No rev limiter bump in the JET's but
this really isn't necessary without a cam swap with a pretty healthy change
in the duration or maybe a blower. No sense in revvin' past 5 grand if
you've already hit your hp peak.

Only catch is I can see that it'll eventually be a wasted purchase. My
plans for the truck are pretty radical and I'll eventually render the JET
unusable and require a custom burned EEPROM. As a matter of fact...I'd
part with it to help fund some other stuff I need if anybody with a '97
5spd is interested. As much as I'd hate to lose the gains right now...it
would make more sense for me in the long run. It's perfect for someone
who's going to make a few performance mods and stop there.

****** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 ******

sean meldrum
Email @ Home: spm@c3net.net
Email @ Work: sean_meldrum@ittauto.com