Re: Nitrous on 3.9lts '88 Dakota

From: Sean_Meldrum@ittauto.com
Date: Wed May 27 1998 - 13:59:53 EDT

<snip>My mechanic said it'd be much more safe with
this new chip, and I should consider getting the chip if I'm
installingthe Nitrous kit.

     I'm not sure exactly how the computer functions on your '88 but if
it's like most EFI's when your foot is to the floor (only time you'd be
usin' nitrous) the computer goes into open loop. Now if Superchips can
also alter the open loop operation of the computer then there's something
to gain by waiting for the chip. If not.....install away and have some
fun. Just make sure to add the necessary safegaurds to the system.
Adequate fuel pump, WOT switch, fuel pressure cutoff switch, etc.

<snip>I was worried what kind of
impact the nitrous would have on the new engine, etc.. I mean a 90HP
max output for the nitrous isn't all that big of a deal, and I'm sure it
would be ok if I handled it correctly.

     I'd start with the 50hp jets and see how the system runs. Check your
plugs and if everything is runnin' ok (no lean conditions) then move on up
to the 90 horse jets.

But the only problem is, I'm new
to nitrous, especially on a truck. So, does anyone know when's the
right time to hit the nitrous after it IS installed? At what
speed/RPM/gear, and what to expect when it's activated? <snip>

     This one I'll default to one of the current users. I have a copy of
Desktop Dyno that has a function that allows you to simulate a nitrous
shot. It automatically decideds where the optimum activation point is
ideal based on cylinder pressure. Both 50 and 100 hp shots came on at 3000
rpm. But, again.....I'm leavin' this one to the current users.

Just my $0.02

****** 97 RPM Dakota - 14.98 @ 91.76 ******

sean meldrum
Email @ Home: spm@c3net.net